Portraying your business image online requires a professional headshot as part of your branding. Your business photo should reflect both your company’s personality, as well as you as a person.
The right headshot will help you stand out from the crowd and convey a message of professionalism. Getting the right look will be the difference between whether you come across as friendly and trustworthy, or stern and unapproachable.
You may remember our article from a couple of weeks ago, 5 Quick & Easy Steps To Instantly Boost Your LinkedIn Profile, where I mentioned that I was soon to get a professional headshot taken. As you can see from the results above, I had a very successful photo shoot and am more than happy with the results.
So, I thought I might share with you the steps I took in order to get the perfect photo. Here are my top tips to help you prepare for that all-important shot:
- Take along your current headshot for the photographer to improve on
- Show the photographer examples of other headshots that you like
- Practice in the mirror in advance and know your best angles
- Have in mind the look and feel you want to convey
- Wear block colours – they date less quickly
- A neutral background won’t distract from your portrait
- Keep your make up and jewellery simple, and accessories to a minimum
- Take a friend for on-the-spot tips and critiquing
- Girls: consider having your hair and make up done professionally
- Guys: consider a professional grooming session in advance
- Make sure there is only a light amount of retouching applied post-shoot
- Relax and have fun!
After a year and a half in business I can now say that I have a headshot that I am proud of, and am wondering why I didn’t do it sooner!
Do you have any other tips to share when it comes to having a professional headshot taken? Pass them on via the comments section below.